Sunday 9 November 2008

Happy 57th Birthday Papa!

Dear Papa,

When I took the school bus for the first time, you were the father who drove and followed behind me all the way to school. When I came down the bus and vomited, you told me it was because I had motion sickness. From that day onwards, you woke up at 6am every morning, and drove me to school.

When I was 9, I fell down and was sent to the clinic for stitches. You rushed over, and when I looked at you and asked if I was going to die, you were the father who told me off gently, and told me “不要乱乱讲话”But your vision never left me, and you held on to me. I remember feeling so assured and so comforted.

Every Sunday, you'd bring me for swimming class. But what I secretly enjoy most, was breakfast with you. We would go to A&W for waffles, and sometimes you'd reward me with an occasional treat of ice cream rootbeer float. Now that I'm all grown up, I still love waffles, beacause each time I enjoy a waffle, I remember the joy of spending time alone with you. Those were part of the happy times we spent together, just you and I.

Dear Papa,

I remember the day you stuck out your thumb and said that the size of my foot when I was a newborn, was the same size. For you, that was how you remembered parts of my life. And now I find myself in the same situation, trying to remember every bit of the times we spent together.

Throughout my life, you have had such high expectations of me, you were never generous with your praises. But everything that you have done shaped me into the person that I am today. You never gave it to me the easy way. But you’d always ask for my opinions and respect them, and because of that, I have grown to be a strong lady with opinions of my own, with goals that I want to achieve in my life. You have allowed me to have a mind of my own; to choose my own paths, without ever forcing your views upon me. You’ve given me the opportuinity to try out everything I wanted in life, because you never had such a privilege.

I have grown up to be so different from you papa, and yet the same as you in so many ways. We have had our share of disagreements, like daughters and fathers often do. There were times I felt like you didn’t understand me, there were times when I felt like I had to get away from you and all the rules that you have subjected me to. And then there were the times I wanted you out of my life, because I felt that your strict parenting efforts were stifling me. But now that I'm older, I know those were just your ways of protecting your children. And now as I learn to love you with all my heart, be patient with me, and allow me to spend the rest of my life being the best daughter I can be, to you papa.

I really hope I have grown up to be the daughter you wanted, and that whoever I am now, is a reflection of the great father and great man that you are. I hope that who I am and what I have achieved so far have made you proud to have a daughter like me. And even as you celebrate your 57th birthday today, I hope you'd realise how much I love you, and how amazing a father you have been to me. You have been the most important man in my life, and will always remain so.

Happy Birthday to you, Papa.

No comments: