Friday 25 July 2008

Day 1: Upon reaching the airport!

The girls pointing to our flight, KE 642! We took Korean airlines and I thought that since it was Korea's national airline the service would be at least decent. But I was so wrong. They served their meals at weird timings, and woke everyone up at 3am for breakfast! Lirong had to take her medicine before that so she asked if they had some small finger food but the air stewardess handed her a pack of peanuts and said that's all they have. When Lirong asked if they have something a little more filling, the most absurd thing happened. The air stewardess handed her 2 packets of peanuts! HAHA I cannot imagine that actually happened.

Us waiting for our luggages. I realised that my luggages, including my laptop bag and my top, are all in shades of pink! eeeeks looks super bimbotic together haha.


Meet Yuting my room mate! She's going to be the first person I am going to see when I wake up every morning. (Thankfully she's pretty!) She's going to be the one who will have to put up with the mess I create, listen to me whine when I miss home, and hopefully save my ass if anything happens. Room mate I love you!


Another one of the people I'd have to depend on when I'm in Korea. Mel is blur and forgetful, but patient and forgiving, I'm slightly more alert but impulsive and stubborn. Think we're gonna need to rely a lot on each other to stay out of trouble!


Meet our friendly dormitory security guard, who insisted on taking a picture with my roommate and even asked for her email. What a lousy pickup line. Looks like I'd have to start protecting my roommate from chee ko peks loitering around. Yikes.


And this is our room! Not too bad eh? We're all quite happy with it coz it comes with an attached bathroom!


Outside the guy's dorm. The girls are in another block. This is our regular meeting place!


Sights and sounds of the Korean streets..



Sights and sounds of the streets in Korea..



Neighbourhood wet market



This is where we had our first meal in Korea. In Korea it is very common to find such small family owned restaurants. These are more or less the cheaper places you can find, with the cost of each meal roughly 3000-5000W (about S$5-7).



Hotpot! It's the first of many hotpots that are to come my way. I'd better train myself to conquer chilli instead of letting it conquer me :(



Then we took our first subway ride! From Hanyang University station.


My roommate being spastic haha. I think she's really happy with her new T-money card, equivalent of our EZlink.

And so we took the subway, and headed towards Insadong, also known Art Street. It's a very quirky but artsy little street. I love how the whole street is adorned with art installations and stone sculptures. I think it is the most realistic portrayal of disneyland because there are surprises almost everywhere and if you keep your mind open and let your imagination run wild, it could be a very amazing experience.




I absolutely adore how they allow for an abundance of greenery, whether real or virtual! It just injects a lot of life into the area. And in fact I feel that the buildings become a really beautiful backdrop for the greens instead of the other way round.That's Yuting looking really satisfied : )

I have no idea why Mel has such a pained expression on her face while eating the melon. But even with that pained expression, she still makes the melon look really yummy, for some odd reason I can't pin-point haha. Anyway its quite interesting coz there's a truck that stops by the side of the road selling fruits, you buy the fruits and the boss lends you a knife. So everyone ends up standing by the side of the road cutting up the fruit and eating it on the spot haha. Koreans are really efficient eh?

Haha yep so we had a sneak peak into the lives of koreans and their culture on our first day. Hyehan is happy!




No comments: